Just a reminder that we are now at the point on the technology curve where scammers are using AI to impersonate family members in distress in realtime phone calls.
- 1970s: Spoof email
- 2000s: Virus that sends email to all your contacts, virtual kidnapping scam
- 2010s: Fake caller-ID and robocalling, twitter bots, fake facebook profiles, cat phishing
- 2019: Deep fake videos, bot-assisted cat phishing, IRS-impersonation scam
- 2023: Impersonate voice and phone number in realtime phone call <– You are here
- 202?: Impersonate loved one in realtime video
- 202?: Automated voice-chat scam robocalls